Many types of surgery, especially spinal surgery, can leave you with pain and difficult mobility post-op. The traditional method for managing post-surgical pain is with the use of medications, including opioids and similar drugs.
A number of people can’t take these medications or don’t like to take them due to unpleasant side effects.
Post-surgical chiropractic offers a drug-free pain management method that means no mind-altering drugs and no unpleasant side effects. In fact, there are several benefits that patients can enjoy as they heal from surgery.
In this brief story, meet Dylan, who was looking for a chiropractor in Cypress to help with his post-surgical pain. Then he met Dr. Becca!
What Types of Surgery Benefit from Chiropractic After Care?
Chiropractic can begin shortly after surgery. Depending on the type of surgery, treatment can start a few days or a couple of weeks after. In some cases, the doctor will avoid the surgical site, but treat the areas around it to increase support and relieve pain.
Some of the types of surgery that can benefit from post-op chiropractic include:
Your doctor will discuss your personal post-surgical chiropractic plan with you in order to best serve your needs.
What Can Post-Surgical Chiropractic Do For You?
You may be used to getting chiropractic care regularly or you may be new to the treatment, but either way, you’ve likely seen or heard about chiropractic “adjustments” and manipulations. They can be a little unsettling if you aren’t accustomed to them.
It is important to understand that there are several types of chiropractic methods. Some are more rigorous and some are very gentle. Your doctor will work with you to find the treatment that works for you.
It is a good idea to meet with your chiropractor before you have your surgery so you can have a plan in place when you are ready to begin post-op care. Some of the benefits you can get from this type of chiropractic care include:
- Pain reduction – Several studies show that post-surgical chiropractic was as effective in decreasing pain as pain medications. The difference is that chiropractic is drug-free and natural.
- Pain management – Chiropractic has long been used as a very effective pain management tool. As a post-op pain management option, it works quickly and effectively without any unpleasant side effects.
- Improved stability at the surgery site – Spinal surgery and other types of orthopedic surgery require a great deal of stability at the site in order to facilitate biomedical function that is as close to normal as possible.
- Improved range of motion – Surgery will often restrict the body’s ability to move and may limit the range of motion at the surgical site. Chiropractic can help restore range of motion or significantly improve it.
- Improved mobility – It is not unusual for surgery to limit a patient’s mobility or prohibit it altogether. Post-surgical chiropractic care can facilitate healing and improve mobility by increasing stability, improving flexibility, and improving range of motion.
Sandstone Chiropractic has skilled, highly trained, caring chiropractors on staff who are ready to help you recover from surgery with this natural, drug-free pain management method. Call today or request a consultation online and find out if post-surgical chiropractic is right for you.